LG has officially launched its first Ultra Definition TV (Ultra HD TV) in the US – an 84in monster boasting roughly four times the picture resolution of a Full HD 1080p TV.
Formerly known as 4K Resolution, before beingrebranded to Ultra High-Definitionby the Consumer Electronics Association, the latest standard requires that at least one input on the set supports receiving video data at a resolution of 3,840 x 2,160 – providing four times the detail of a 1,920 x 1,080 HDTV set.
Proudly wearing the Ultra HD tag, LG’s 84in UDTV launched late last night ahead of planned sets from rival companies including Sony. Currently a US exclusive, the set is limited to a single retailer in California – the Video & Audio Centre in Lawndale – where consumers can try out the device for the first time.
Although Ultra HD sets are quick to impress, they do suffer from a lack of compatible content. While capable of upscaling Blu-ray, games console and other non-Ultra HD content to fill the screen, such tricks – commonly seen in the early days of HDTVs with upscaling DVD players providing a means of bridging the gap until Blu-ray prices dropped – fail to make the best use of the set.
For that, consumers need true Ultra HD content – and that is thin on the ground. Many broadcasters in the US are only just making the move to progressive HD from the lower-quality interlaced format, and with Ultra HD requiring four times the bandwidth a move to Ultra HD is potentially years away.
The final problem for LG’s launch is pricing: the set is being sold at an eye-watering $16,999.99 (around £10,553 excluding taxes) meaning that only the most well-heeled audiovisual fan will be able to even consider a purchase.
That price may change once there is competition in the market, with Sony’s rival Ultra HD TV expect to appear towards the end of the year.
- Windows 8 Release Preview goes live
- Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon with TouchScreen Goes on Sale for $1,499
- Italy goes after Apple over warranty issue
- New Apple 11.6” MacBook Air on Sale for $799 at Best Buy
- New HP Coupons and Free Shipping During “Super Sale”
- HP Pavilion g6 with AMD on Sale for $305 at Staples
- Lenovo IdeaPad Y580 Now up for Sale on Lenovo, Starts at $1039
- Sony VAIO E 17” with 1080p Screen on Sale for $580
- Asus S200E Touchscreen 11.6” Screen Laptop on Sale $399 @ Staples
- Samsung Series 9 13” Screen Ultrabook on Sale for $699 @ Amazon
Leave a Reply