Worldwide PC shipments dropped in 2012 on an annual basis for the first time in more than a decade and that is expected to continue this year, research firm IDC said on Monday.
Worldwide PC shipments are projected to drop 1.3 percent this year, IDC said in a statement. That would be a slight recovery from 2012, in which PC shipments dropped by 3.7 percent.
IDC cited the growing use of tablets and people holding back on PC upgrades because they don’t want Windows 8 as reasons for the expected shipments drop. Windows 8, released last October, failed to provide a spark to the PC market in last year’s fourth quarter and the trend will continue through 2013, IDC said.
Windows 8 is optimized for touch, but a lack of touch PCs and high prices hurt demand in last year’s fourth quarter. There will continue to be a limited supply of computers that take advantage of Windows 8′s features, which will hurt PC shipments in the first half, IDC said.
IDC is projecting PC shipments to record positive growth in the second half with wider acceptance of Windows 8 and PC supplies returning to normal. Support for Windows XP ends later this year and that could prompt some companies to upgrade PCs, IDC said.
Intel is backing the concept of ultrabooks, a new category of thin-and-light laptops with tablet-like features, as a way to rejuvenate the PC market. The company has invested millions of dollars in the development of ultrabook components such as touchscreens, with the aim of bringing the price of those laptops down.
PC shipments in emerging markets will grow by 0.6 percent in 2013, and will decline in mature markets by 4 percent, IDC said.
Agam Shah covers PCs, tablets, servers, chips and semiconductors for IDG News Service. Follow Agam on Twitter at@agamsh. Agam’s e-mail address [email protected]
- Tablet shipments to outpace laptops in 2013, NPD says
- Acer plans to launch Windows RT devices in Q1 2013
- Apple releases firmware fixes for MacBook Pro Retina (2013) keyboard issues
- Best TVs to buy in 2013
- Samsung showcases two new Series 7 laptops for CES 2013
- IFA 2013 news round-up: hands on coverage from our team in Berlin
- Dell Inspiron 14z review - mid 2013 model (N00I1431) offers good performance in a portable chassis
- New May 2013 Coupon for $150 Off HP dv6t and dv7t Quad Edition Laptops
- Best iPhone 5 cases and covers to buy in 2013
- IDC: PC growth to slow down to 0.9 percent in 2012 after a weak mid-year
Leave a Reply